Modernism and Postmodernism, Fall 2013, O'Donnell
last update: August 19, 2013
*** SPECIAL!! CLICK HERE FOR EXAM 2 STUDY GUIDE ***
English 4040, section 1, TR 12:45-2:05pm B303
This course is writing-intensive.
Dr. Kevin O'Donnell, instructor: http://faculty.etsu.edu/odonnell/,
firstname.lastname@example.org 423 439-6679
Office: Burleson Hall 313
Fall 2013 Office Hours: TR 11:15am-12:30pm; MW 12-2pm
- Don Delillo. White Noise: Text and Criticism (Viking Critical Library). Ed. Mark Osteen. Penguin, 1998 (1984). ISBN: 0140274987. $16.95.
- Michael Ondaatje. The English Patient: A Novel. Vintage, 1993. ISBN: 0679745203 $14.00
- Joseph Parisi and Stephen Young, editors. The Poetry Anthology, 1912-2002 [Selections from Poetry Magazine, Chicago Ill.]. Ivan R. Dee, publisher, 2004. ISBN:
- Gary Shteyngart. Super Sad True Love Story: A Novel. Random House, 2011. ISBN: 0812977866 $16.00
- Kurt Vonnegut. Slaughterhouse Five or the Children's
Crusade: A Duty Dance With Death. Dell, 1991 (1969). ISBN: 0440180295.
- Virginia Woolf. Mrs. Dalloway [Annotated]. Harvest Books, 2005 (1921). ISBN: 0156030357 $13.00
Final Grade Breakdown
- 2 exams (short essay and identification): 15% each -- 30% total
- Review essay (approx 1500 words): 25%
- Literary analysis and commentary (approx 1500 words): 25%
- Miscellaneous writing activities, in and out of
- Participation: 10%
Attendance, Due Dates
Attendance: The Department of Lit and Language policy: more than 6 absences and you fail the course. In addition, I've set the following policies: 1) You may miss 2 classes free, no questions asked. 2) No absences will be excused, so use your two freebies wisely! 3) If you miss between 3 and 5 classes, your final grade may be lowered by up to a full letter grade.
Due Dates: I don't accept late work, and missed assignments cannot be made up. If you must miss class on a due date, email me your work by class time.