Literature and the Environment, Spring 2013
Course and Instructor
English 3050 Literature and the Environment, section 001, MW 1:40-3pm, Burleson 304
This is a writing-intensive
course, and it fullfills a requirement for the Environmental Studies minor.
Instructor: Dr. Kevin O'Donnell, http://faculty.etsu.edu/odonnell/, email@example.com 423 439-6679
Office: Burleson Hall 313
Spring 2013 Office Hours: MW 11:30am-1:30pm; TR 12:45-2:05pm
- Timothy Egan. The Big Burn: Teddy Roosevelt and the Fire That Saved America. Mariner Books, 2010 (2009). $15.95. ISBN: 0547394608
- Ian McEwan. Solar. Anchor, 2011. $15.00 ISBN: 0307739538
- Bill McKibben, ed. American Earth: Environmental Writing Since Thoreau. Library of America, 2008. $40.00. ISBN: 1598530208
- Ron Rash. Serena: A Novel. Ecco, 2009 (2008). $14.99. ISBN: 0061470848
- Erik Reece. Field Work: Modern Poems from Eastern Forests. University Press of Kentucky, 2008. $19.95. ISBN: 0813124971
- Mary Roach, ed. The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2011. Mariner Books, 2011. $14.95. ISBN: 0547350635
Final Grade Breakdown
- Reading quizzes/ reading-writing exercises: 20%
- Two exams (15% each): 30%
- Essay 1: Essay Based on Personal Experience/ Observation--1000-2000 wds: 20%
- Essay 2: Extended Book Review--1000-2000 wds: 20%
- In-class presentation (on same topic as Essay 2): 5%
- Participation in draft workshops: 5%
Attendance, Due Dates
Attendance: The English Department policy: more than 6 absences and you fail the course.
Due Dates: I do not accept late work. If you must miss class on a due date, email your work as an attachment to firstname.lastname@example.org. Then also bring a hard copy to the following class period.