Engl 3050 Literature and the Environment, Spring 2018
Course and Instructor
English 3050 Literature and the Environment, section 001, Monday and Wednesday, 1:40-3pm, Burleson 302
Instructor: Dr. Kevin O'Donnell, http://faculty.etsu.edu/odonnell/
email@example.com 423 439-6679
Office: Burleson Hall 313
Spring 2018 Office Hours: MW 11:30am-12:45pm, 3:15-4:15pm; T 12-2pm.
- Hope Jahren, editor. The Best American Science and Nature Writing 2017. Mariner Books, 2017. $15.99. ISBN: 1328715515
- Barbara Kingsolver. Flight Behavior: A Novel. Harper Perennial 2013 (2012). $16.99. ISBN: 0062124277
- Bill McKibben, editor. American Earth: Environmental Writing Since Thoreau. Library of America, 2008. $40.00. ISBN: 1598530208
- Bill McKibben. The End of Nature. Random House, 2006 (1989). $16.00. ISBN: 0812976088
- Ron Rash. Serena: A Novel. Ecco, 2009 (2008). $14.99. ISBN: 0061470848
- Erik Reece. Field Work: Modern Poems from Eastern Forests. University Press of Kentucky, 2008. $19.95. ISBN: 0813124971
Final Grade Breakdown
- Two exams (20% each): 40%
- Essay 1: Book Review--1000-2000 wds: 25%
- Essay 2: Essay Based on Personal Experience/ Observation--1000-2000 wds: 25%
- Various short, ungraded writing assignments: 10%
Attendance, Due Dates
Attendance: The Department of Literature and Language official policy: More than 6 absences and you fail the course. I will strive to make the classes worth your time, so please try to be there.
Due Dates: In general, I do not accept late work. However, if there are extenuating circumstances, talk to me. I am happy to make reasonable accomodations. If you must miss a class during which a major essay is due, then email me the essay ahead of time; also then bring a hard copy to the following class meeting.