Engl 3050 Literature and the Environment, Spring 2018
last update: January 9, 2018
- Here are various texts and sites that will interest students in this class.
- These are not necessarily assigned readings. For week-by-week reading assignments, see "Calendar," above.
- I will update this site periodically throughout the semester. If you have any suggestions for additional links, please send me an email. -- KOD, instructor --firstname.lastname@example.org
I. Book Reviews
- "Fighting Deforestation and Capitalism: How a Woman’s Refusal to Leave a Tree Helped Preserve the Redwoods" [review of The Legacy of Luna, by Julia Butterfly Hill, 2000]. By Amanda Nicholson. Written for Engl 3050 Lit & Environment, Spring 2015. faculty.etsu.edu/odonnell/2015spring/engl3050/1505_luna_rev_by_nicholson.pdf
- "Book World: Barbara Kingsolver’s novel approach in ‘Flight Behavior’." By Ron Charles. The Washington Post, October 30, 2012. www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/books/book-world-barbara-kingsolvers-novel-approach-in-flight-behavior/2012/10/30/4722523e-1d14-11e2-9cd5-b55c38388962_story.html
- "The Butterfly Effect: ‘Flight Behavior,’ by Barbara Kingsolver." By Dominique Browning. The New York Times, Sunday Book Review, November 9, 2012.
- "Couple Creates an Empire by Felling Trees and Anyone in Their Way" [review of Serena]. By Janet Maslin, The New York Times, October 5, 2008. www.nytimes.com/2008/10/06/books/06masl.html
- "The Homer of the Ants" [review of Anthill: A Novel, by E. O. Wilson]. By Margaret Atwood. The New York Review of Books 57, 6 (April 8, 2010). www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/apr/08/the-homer-of-the-ants/
- "Hosed: Is there a quick fix for the climate?" [review of Levitt and Dubner's SuperFreakonomics and Al Gore's Our Choice]. By Elizabeth Kolbert. The New Yorker, November 16, 2009. www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/books/2009/11/16/091116crbo_books_kolbert
- The Man Who Thinks Trees Talk to Each Other. [Review of The Hidden Life of Trees by Peter Wohlleben.] The Guardian [Manchester UK], September 12, 2016. www.theguardian.com/environment/2016/sep/12/peter-wohlleben-man-who-believes-trees-talk-to-each-other
- "Mother Nature as a Hothouse Flower." [Review of Bill McKibben's The End of Nature.] By David Graber. The Los Angeles Times, October 22, 1989. articles.latimes.com/1989-10-22/books/bk-726_1_bill-mckibben
- "The Sky is Melting." [Review of Bill McKibben's The End of Nature.] By Nicholas Wade. The New York Times, October 8, 1989. www.nytimes.com/1989/10/08/books/the-sky-is-melting.html
- "The Tragedy of the American Wolf, Up Close; Plus two more books we're reading this month." [Review of American Wolf by Nate Blakeslee.] By Christopher Keyes. Outside Magazine Online, Oct 30, 2017. www.outsideonline.com/2255766/leader-pack
- "Why Not Frack?" By Bill McKibben. The New York Review of Books. March 8, 2012. www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2012/mar/08/why-not-frack/
II. Various Articles Related to Course Texts
- "Meddling With Monarchs." By Margaret Renkl. The New York Times, October 5, 2017. www.nytimes.com/2017/10/05/opinion/monarch-butterfly-migration-extinction.html
- "How Climate Change Deniers Rise to the Top in Google Searches." By Hiroko Tabuchi. The New York Times, Dec. 29, 2017. www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/climate/google-search-climate-change.html
- "‘Climate Change Is Real’: Many U.S. Companies Lament Paris Accord Exit." By Daniel Victor. The New York Times, June 1, 2017. www.nytimes.com/2017/06/01/business/climate-change-tesla-corporations-paris-accord.html
- "Carolina Panthers." By Dan Lazar, Director of Education, Western North Carolina Nature. 2010. www.wildwnc.org/education/naturalists-notes/carolina-panthers
- "Global Warming and Flowering Times in Thoreau's Concord: A Community Perspective." Abraham J. Miller-Rushing and Richard B. Primack. Ecology 89, 2 (February 2008): p332-341. www.esajournals.org/doi/abs/10.1890/07-0068.1
- "Global Warming's Terrifying New Math: Three simple numbers that add up to global catastrophe - and that make clear who the real enemy is." Bill McKibben. Rolling Stone Magazine, July 19, 2012. http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/global-warmings-terrifying-new-math-20120719
- Julia Butterfly Hill profile on NBC Dateline News Magazine, Feb 14, 1999 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFRdy7o3DPE&feature=related
- "Margaret Atwood: Rachel Carson's Silent Spring, 50 years on." By Margaret Atwood. The Guardian [Manchester, England]. Friday, December 7, 2012. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/dec/07/why-rachel-carson-is-a-saint
- "Ron Rash Feature." Ten poems by Rash. Story South dot com, Summer 2002. www.storysouth.com/summer2002/rashfeaturepoems.html. Accessed January 2018.
- "Serena: The Story Behind the Book" [Ron Rash's comments on how he wrote the book, posted at the site of his literary agent; no date]. http://www.rusoffagency.com/authors/rash_r/serenat/behind_serena.htm
- "Wendell Berry pulling his personal papers from UK: Writer protesting coal's influence." By Cheryl Truman. The Lexington Herald Leader, June 23, 2010. www.kentucky.com/2010/06/23/1319383/wendell-berry-pulling-his-personal.html
III. Authors Online
- The Poetry Foundation's Joy Harjo page: www.poetryfoundation.org/poets/joy-harjo
- Joan Maloof. www.joanmaloof.com
- Horace Kephart: Revealing an Enigma. Hunter Library Special Collections and the Mountain Heritage Center, Western Carolina University. www.wcu.edu/library/digitalcoll/kephart/
- "John Muir Writings" at Yosemite Online, an unofficial Yosemite website. www.yosemite.ca.us/john_muir_writings/
- "The John Muir Exhibit," at sierraclub.org. vault.sierraclub.org/john_muir_exhibit/default.aspx
- The Canons of the Colorado (first paper: Down the Green River), by John Wesley Powell, Scribner's Monthly 9, 3 (January 1875): 293-311
- The Canons of the Colorado (second paper), by John Wesley Powell, Scribner's Monthly 9, 4 (February 1875): 394-409
IV. Environmental Writing
- Grist.org. Environmental journalism.
- Orion Magazine. One of America's premier venues for nature writing and environmental policy essays.
V. Materials Used in Class
- B. Kingsolver, Flight Behavior, discussion questions. At "lit lovers" web site: www.litlovers.com/reading-guides/13-fiction/8988-flight-behavior-kingsolver?start=3