- Define the process of numerical control.
- Explain what a numerical control machine is.
- Name the two major components of a CAD/CAM system.
- What is the meaning of the acronym "CAD"?
- What is the meaning of the acronym "CAM"?
- What is the more common name for CAM?
- What functions do an N/C controller perform?
- What causes computers to make mistakes?
- Name the two kinds of computers.
- List three categories of general purpose computers.
- What are the two kinds of special-purpose computers?
- What can a sophisticated CAD system do that a less-sophisticated
CAD system can't do?
- What kinds of skills and knowledge must an N/C programmer possess?
- How can the process of N/C programming be simplified and speeded up?
- What are the differences between an N/C open-loop system and a
- Where are open-loop systems used?
- Where are closed-loop systems used?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of an open-loop system?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of a closed-loop system?
- What can a stepping motor do that a DC servomotor can't do?
- What can a DC servomotor do that a stepping motor can't do?
- What purpose does a resolver serve in a closed-loop system?
- What are the two kinds of resolvers used in closed-loop systems?
- Why are ball screws used on N/C machines?
- Name two "ancestors" of the N/C machine.
- Why did the advent of CNC make it easier to edit an N/C program?
- What is a canned cycle?
- What is meant by drip feeding programs?
- What is the function of a transfer line and its advantage over N/C?
- Describe several advantages and disadvantages of N/C compared
to manual machining processes.
Back to Contents Page
Updated Jan. 9, 2002
Copyright © 1988-2002 by George Stanton and
All Rights Reserved