Writing: Theory and Teaching, Spring 2012
last update: April 9, 2012
posted April 2012
Also, note the final grade policy revision, below.
Course and Instructor Information
English 4057/5057 Writing: Theory and Teaching
W 5:30-8:20pm, Burleson 303
Instructor: Dr. Kevin O'Donnell, http://faculty.etsu.edu/odonnell/,
email@example.com 423 439-6679
Office: Burleson Hall 313
Spring 2012 Office Hours: TR 10:30-12:30; W 11:30-1:30
- American Society of Magazine Editors, ed. The Best American Magazine Writing 2011. Columbia U Press, 2011. $16.95. ISBN: 0231159404
- Erika Lindemann. A Rhetoric for Writing Teachers (4th edition). Oxford UP, 2001. $49.95. ISBN: 0195130456
- Mike Rose. Lives on the Boundary: A Moving Account of the Struggles and Achievements of America's Educationally Underprepared. Originally published 1989. Any edition.
- Recommended, not required: Sherry Ellis. Now Write! Nonfiction: Memoir, Journalism and Creative Nonfiction Exercises from Today's Best Writers. Tarcher, 2009. $14.95. ISBN: 1585427586
- A grammar handbook of your choice
Four Essays, 1,000-1,500 Words Each
Essay 1: Narrative/ Personal Experience
Essay 2: Tech Writing ("How-to"-- Expository/ Explanatory)
Essay 3: Academic Writing--Writing from Sources
Essay 4: Writing in Response to the Assignment of Your Choice
Final Grade Breakdown
1. Four essays (see
above)--lowest grade, excluding Fs, dropped:
2. Teaching philosophy, and/or syllabus and course materials for a particular class that you plan to teach: 30%
ungraded writing assignments (reading responses; informal proposals; Wikipedia
exercise, etc.): 10%
4. Composition notebook: 10%
5. Revision of one piece of writing, which you post on the web: 20%
(Final grade policy revision: Apr 9, 2012: Note that the initial final grade breakdown included Classroom presentation, which was worth 10% of the final grade. I've eliminated that assignment, and allotted the 10% grade portion to the final revision, which was formerly worth 10%. It is now worth 20%. -- Dr. O'Donnell)
Attendance, Due Dates
Attendance: The official English department attendance policy says that if you have more than 3 absences you fail the course.
Due Dates: My general policy is that I do not accept late work. However, if some exceptional circumstance prevents you from meeting a deadline, talk to me individually about the matter.